A Better Life: 100 Atheists Speak Out on Joy & Meaning in a World Without God
Explore the meaning and joy of life with 100 atheists in this book of photos and commentary featuring Richard Dawkins, Dan Dennett, Steven Pinker, Penn & Teller, Julia Sweeney, Alex Honnold, Derren Brown, and more!
The myth persists. Even in our modern world, countless people believe that without God, one’s life has no purpose or meaning — that the lives of atheists are devoid of joy and happiness because they are not religious.
Starting out as one of the highest-grossing publishing projects on Kickstarter, A Better Life highlights the various ways that those who are not religious find joy, meaning, and purpose in life. Photographer Chris Johnson spent two years traveling the world speaking with and photographing atheists from all walks of life to create this hardcover photography coffeetable book.
- A.C. Grayling, Philosopher
- Adam Pascal, Musician/Actor
- Alex Honnold, Rock climber
- Cara Santa Maria, Television personality
- Carol Blue & (the late) Christopher Hitchens
- Charles Strouse, Broadway composer
- Daniel Dennett, Philosopher and cognitive scientist
- Derren Brown, British illusionist
- Donald C. Johanson, Paleoanthropologist
- James Randi, Magician
- James Watson, Molecular biologist/co-discoverer of the structure of DNA
- Janet Asimov, Psychiatrist/Author
- Jim Al-Khalili, Professor of physics, author and broadcaster
- Julia Sweeney, Actress, comedian & author
- Lawrence M. Krauss, Physicist
- Michael Shermer, Founder/Publisher of Skeptic magazine
- Patricia S. Churchland, Neurophilosopher
- Penn & Teller, magicians
- Rebecca Newberger Goldstein, Philosopher and novelist
- Richard Dawkins, Evolutionary biologist, and author
- Robert Llewellyn, Writer, TV presenter, actor
- Sean Carroll, Theoretical Physicist
- Steven Pinker, Cognitive scientist
- Yau-Man Chan, Contestant; Survivor: Fiji
What people are saying about A Better Life...
"As an atheist myself, I was delighted to see the faces and read the words of people who live meaningful lives full of love and free from superstition in this beautiful book. Its pages capture the vitality of a worldview that confronts mortality and invites us, without illusions and false promises, to embrace life and forge ethical relationships. I highly recommend this book to believers and non-believers alike. We atheists will recognize friends and discover new role models. Others will, hopefully, gain a realistic perspective on the lives of those who can, most emphatically, be good without a god. Thank you, Chris, for this gift in the service of deeper understanding - and pure joy!" -Dr. Anne Klaeysen, Leader, New York Society for Ethical Culture; Humanist Chaplain, Columbia University & NYU.
"Atheists are constantly asked how they can possibly find meaning and purpose in life. In this breathtaking collection of photographs and testimonies, we have a hundred answers – from writers, to scientists, to psychologists, to musicians, to teachers, to – people like you and me. Each contributor expresses the joy that can be experienced and the meaning that can be found in a world without God, a world that is nonetheless filled to the brim with the breathtaking beauties of nature, the cherished love of family and friends, and the passion for life lived to its fullest." - Dr. Bart D. Ehrman, UNC Chapel Hill Professor of Religious Studies, Author: Misquoting Jesus, Forged, Jesus, Interrupted.
"A Better Life just made it to the very top of my coffee table pile. Not only should every single atheist, Humanist, or nonreligious person pick up a copy for him or herself, we should all buy another as a gift for our religious family, friends, or coworkers, and say: "Here. Check this out and you'll understand me better." ABL is not only a gorgeous and diverse collection of portraits that masterfully tell 100 individual stories, it also weaves them together into a broader (and true) story: that Humanists and atheists are so much more than just not religious. We are a diverse, inclusive, inspiring community, working together to make the world a better place for all people." - Greg Epstein, Humanist Chaplain at Harvard University
"This is a powerful project that shows relatable non-believers talking about some of the most important topics in modern times. A Better Life portrays 100 atheists from all different backgrounds talking about how easy it is to be good without god. I’m capable of living a happy and successful life without superstition, and getting that message out is of the utmost importance. A Better Life itself brings joy to its readers by offering a warm and friendly introduction to happiness and meaning from a secular worldview." - David G. McAfee; Author, Mom, Dad, I'm an Atheist: The Guide to Coming Out as a Non-believer
- Hardcover: 254 pages
- Author: Chris Johnson
- Publisher: Cosmic Teapot/Chris Johnson; First Edition
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0989936007
- ISBN-13: 978-0-9899360-0-2
- Product Dimensions: 12 x 9 x 1 inches (30cm x 23cm x 2.5cm)
- Shipping Weight: 3.6lbs (1.6kg)
- Sales Tax: charged for residents of New York State.